Sunday, November 18, 2012

Death Metal Eggplant Parm Recipe

I basically layered two layers of these eggplant patties with tomato sauce and grated cheese, then baked it at 350 until the cheese looked like the pan on the left above. If you want the real Italian way then google it, I'm Polish.

I grew these eggplants right in my backyard. You'd be surprised how far two eggplants will go. I peeled them first with a vegetable peeler and sliced them wide (1/4" - 1/2"), which helps keep from frying out the eggplant flavor. I then dipped them thoroughly through some eggs mixed with generic Italian themed bread crumbs (crushed up croutons would probably do fine if I didn't have that.). (Approximately 1 tablespoon of crumbs per 2 eggs.) You can add in your own stuff here for flavor like minced chili peppers, crushed ginger, anything you want to get loose with - it's your business. I keep it simple. Just keep the batter mostly egg and not too thick like cement mix. Otherwise it will look like the eggplant pattie all the way to the right in the frying pan, after which I changed the consistency of the batter. I chose to fry them in vegetable oil, which I changed and wiped the pan (wearing an oven mitt so I didn't burn my goddamn hands) every 6 patties. If you don't have oil then just butter them or spray PAM on them and put them in the oven on 350. DON'T LET THAT SHIT BURN. Flip them when the bottom half looks golden brown like fucking sand on a NILE album cover.  (Both sides should resemble picture at right). Let them sit on towels to drain the oil. After that I layer them with thin layers of grated parm and mozz cheese mixed with tomato sauce. Again, if you want to get cute with fried peppers and hot sauce in the layers it's your business.
                  

No comments:

Post a Comment